Decision support system for emergency management of oil spill accidents in the Mediterranean Sea
- 1Fondazione CMCC – Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici, via M. Franceschini 31, 40128 Bologna, Italy
- 2Fondazione CMCC – Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici, via Augusto Imperatore 16, 73100 Lecce, Italy
- 3Dipartimento di Fisica e Astronomia (DIFA) Università degli Studi di Bologna, viale Berti-Pichat 6/2, 40127 Bologna, Italy
- 4Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, via D. Creti 12, 40128 Bologna, Italy
- 5National Oceanography Centre, 6 Brownlow Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3 5DA, UK
- 6Links Management and Technology S.p.A. – via R. Scotellaro 55, 73100 Lecce, Italy
Abstract. This paper presents an innovative web-based decision support system to facilitate emergency management in the case of oil spill accidents, called WITOIL (Where Is The Oil). The system can be applied to create a forecast of oil spill events, evaluate uncertainty of the predictions, and calculate hazards based on historical meteo-oceanographic datasets. To compute the oil transport and transformation, WITOIL uses the MEDSLIK-II oil spill model forced by operational meteo-oceanographic services. Results of the modeling are visualized through Google Maps. A special application for Android is designed to provide mobile access for competent authorities, technical and scientific institutions, and citizens.