Brief Communication: Rapid mapping of landslide events: the 3 December 2013 Montescaglioso landslide, Italy
- 1CNR IRPI, Strada delle Cacce 73, 10135 Turin, Italy
- 2CNR IREA, Via Diocleziano 328, 80124 Naples, Italy
- 3Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Via Claudio 21, 80124 Naples, Italy
- 4CNR IRPI, Via della Madonna Alta 126, 06128 Perugia, Italy
- 5CNR IMAA, C.da Santa Loja, Tito Scalo, 85050 Potenza, Italy
- 6CNR IRPI, Via Amendola, 122/I, 70126 Bari, Italy
Abstract. We present an approach to measure 3-D surface deformations caused by large, rapid-moving landslides using the amplitude information of high-resolution, X-band synthetic aperture radar (SAR) images. We exploit SAR data captured by the COSMO-SkyMed satellites to measure the deformation produced by the 3 December 2013 Montescaglioso landslide, southern Italy. The deformation produced by the deep-seated landslide exceeded 10 m and caused the disruption of a main road, a few homes and commercial buildings. The results open up the possibility of obtaining 3-D surface deformation maps shortly after the occurrence of large, rapid-moving landslides using high-resolution SAR data.