Articles | Volume 12, issue 4
Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 12, 1179–1183, 2012
https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-12-1179-2012
Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 12, 1179–1183, 2012
https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-12-1179-2012

Research article 25 Apr 2012

Research article | 25 Apr 2012

Relation between seismicity and pre-earthquake electromagnetic emissions in terms of energy, information and entropy content

S. M. Potirakis1, G. Minadakis2, and K. Eftaxias3 S. M. Potirakis et al.
  • 1Department of Electronics, Technological Education Institute (TEI) of Piraeus, 250 Thivon & P. Ralli, 12244, Aigaleo, Athens, Greece
  • 2Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, Brunel Univ. Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PH, UK
  • 3Department of Physics, Section of Solid State Physics, Univ. of Athens, Panepistimiopolis, 15784, Zografos, Athens, Greece

Abstract. In this paper we show, in terms of Fisher information and approximate entropy, that the two strong impulsive kHz electromagnetic (EM) bursts recorded prior to the Athens earthquake (EQ) (7 September 1999, magnitude 5.9) present compatibility with the radar interferometry data and the seismic data analysis, which indicates that two fault segments were activated during Athens EQ. The calculated Fisher information and approximate entropy content ratios closely follow the radar interferometry result that the main fault segment was responsible for 80 % of the total energy released, while the secondary fault segment for the remaining 20 %. This experimental finding, which appears for the first time in the literature, further enhances the hypothesis for the seismogenic origin of the analyzed kHz EM bursts.

Download
Altmetrics